Sunday 16 November 2008

Strictly Addicted

Okay, look, I'm sorry, but I have to do this. John Sargeant. You all know who I mean (dad, I'll phone you about it). In our unbelievably high brow, intellectual household, it's been all we've talked about for weeks. I even turn down all Saturday shifts (when the tips can double your wages) because of my shameful addiction.

I started off loving John Sargeant (JS from now on). For his cheeky face (strangely attractive), his hilarious take on ballroom and latin dancing and, most importantly, for his self deprecating humour. A quality sadly diminishing in our 'big yourself up' world.

More than JS, I loved Christina, whose care and reverance for her partner was touching. Whilst knowing he was basically hopeless, she choreographed dances to suit his bumbling, 'teddy bear marching' style to accentuate the humour. She even protected him by covering his ears from the judges vitriolic criticisms. So sweet!

But it was time for him to go. True, it is entertainment, but it is also about dance and when Cherie Lunghi, who could have won - holding a torch for the 'older woman' - was voted off for JS to stay, it had gone a bit too far.

I found myself arguing with my 17 year old nephew, virtually imploring him to stop supporting JS so that more deserving dancers could win. How pathetic is that? And why should I care?

I think because, ultimately, the entertainment is about the improvement of the dancers. This gives the show its edge. To watch people like Jodie Kidd, transform from 'ugly' duckling to graceful swan (she by the way, is also very funny and self deprecating, which is why I love her). If everyone simply minced around like JS, it would be a great comedy show, but not a dance show. Perhaps the BBC should run a 'worst of' series, with the Julian Clary's and John Sargeant's competing against each other. I would definitely watch that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right that it was time for him to go before the inevitable backlash and nastiness (I'm talking to you, James "Ali G" Jordan). But if you want it to be purely a dance contest, you have to have it judged purely by the dance experts. If you ask the public to decide who stays or goes, you can't then moan when they give you the "wrong" answer.

sandra stopford (nee Hartley) said...

I know, but why don't the public do what I want them to do??? Anyway, it's all over now and I have just cried for the second time watching them do their final dance. It's all just too moving!