Sunday 29 March 2009

authonomaholism

This is the latest disease, as I think I mentioned before, the Harper Collins run website 'authonomy' can take over your life. I am serious. I now get up at 7am and read, comment, go onto the forum, trawl through the ratings, for at least 3 hours, before going to work, coming home and doing the same again. If that isn't an addiction, I don't know what is.

To make matters worse, someone has infiltrated the site and is not playing 'by the rules'. By using Facebook, youtube and every other such site, he managed to persuade thousands of people to back his book (which, to add insult to injury, wasn't even finished). It then shot to the number one slot, so HC will take a look at it, while the rest of us have slogged away, reading and commenting on hundreds of books, watching our rankings very gradually creep up. I suppose, if I had the will, or the technological knowledge, I could do the same, but I just know it wouldn't work for me.

The problem is that, not only have I neglected my husband, the housework, the dogs, the children, and the garden, I have begun to alienate good friends. I can see their eyes glazing over as I start every sentence with 'On authonomy today I read....' I can see their thought bubbles popping out of their brains, 'Oh shit, not another bloody authonomy story. Here we go'.



So, I am checking into rehab, feeling about as enthusiastic as Amy Winehouse, but realise that my life has reached rock bottom, my book has peaked and troughed, and I may as well go out before it sinks back into the 1000's. At the moment, it's a respectable 100. See, I can't quite let go, even now.


But wait, if I give it up, it means I HAVE to resume my writing, there are no more excuses not to face it. And I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that, being totally devoid of any sort of inspiration. So, what the hell, pass us the bottle of Chardonnay and the lap top, and I'll just have one last little look at where I am in the ratings, and perhaps take a look at just one more book. It looks quite good, and they might like mine and might put it on their shelf, even if just for a day. Then I might hit the 95th rank - and then only 90 more to go before I get on the Harper Collins desk and someone who might actually have some influence will read my book. And then..... the 'Waterstones book signing' fantasy again.


2 comments:

hallyally said...

Hi!
Sorry to hear you're leaving Authonomy.
I've just posted a comment on your book and shelved it as well!
I know what you mean about it being addictive - my OH is sick of me 'blogging' on there as he calls it.
I've been trying to get my book noticed since July, but being Non Fiction, I think it's even harder to get anywhere on ATMY with it.
I too was sickened when that book got to the top, but at the end of the day HC will just dismiss it like they have all the top 5 so far - I hope! And after all, it just means that other bok only are one place down - in fact it harldy effects the lower books anyway.
I hope you might pop in occasionally, but meanwhile, good luck and take care.
Alison (aka hallyally - Confessions of a Reluctant Traveller)

sandra stopford (nee Hartley) said...

Nice to know someone actually reads this blog! Thanks Hallyally, and I'll get back to you.