Tuesday 27 January 2009

Am I mad?

Can someone please help me? I need my dream interpreted so I can figure out what is going on in my crazy head.

The dream:
There were a lot of people staying at our house, including someone in our bedroom (though not sharing our bed). Children were milling around (it was evening) with their parents, many of whom I didn't know, but they all seemed very friendly - and excited.

Suddenly, one of my children asked where their stockings were, and it dawned on me with an indescribable panic, that it was actually Christmas Eve. And I was totally unprepared. No one seemed to have pointed out the lack of a tree; but when I confessed that there would be no stockings this year, because I had forgotten to organise them, there was much sulkiness and distress. The main distress was felt by myself. How could I do this?

Not only had I forgotten stocking presents, but there would be no presents under the tree either (not that there was a tree, but had I got presents, we could have pretended). I sobbed around the place, and word quickly spread of our family crisis. Lots of the children (who I didn't recognise) came up and kindly offered to sacrifice one of their presents so that my children would have, at least something, to open. I was overwhelmed by their kindness, yet found myself having to accept things like a quite hideous floral jump suit, which, aside from its obvious fashion reject qualifications, would be far too small for Zoe. With a smile on my face, I gratefully accepted, knowing Zoe would be horrified (and would not be able to hide this fact).

I discovered a craft market which was operating late on Christmas Eve, and wandered round it aimlessly, trying to find suitable things to fill a stocking. I did buy a couple of necklaces, which had glass giraffes on them, but the only other thing which I thought would appeal were some gorilla suits, which a group of children were modelling.

I was still dissatisfied, but had at least got something to ease the pain of 'no Christmas presents this year folks', and assuage my own guilt at forgetting. When I returned home, everyone was still milling around, although it was very late. I was getting quite annoyed, as I wanted to sleep. When I got into bed, I was horrified to find some dog shit lying between Rob and I.

The question is: do I need psychiatric help?

2 comments:

marc aurel said...

In my experience psychiatrists always help, but in the sense of your question, no, you do not need one. The dream is complicated and speaks, for me, to a sense of a fear that you have not or cannot fulfill what you deem to be responsibilities. Ignore this. Dreams, I think, often take us back over issues, which we have in our conscious world resolved. It is as though the un-conscious has to catch up. My guess is that time was when your definition of yourself included pleasing those that were dependant on you. Perhaps they no longer are and the subject of your concern can return to be more on your own self. Good luck and best wishes:)

sandra stopford (nee Hartley) said...

Thanks Marc, sorry to be so long to reply, but I am astounded anyone else reads my blog except for my two friends! I am glad you think I don't need a psychiatrist, but you might wish to change your mind when you read my next two blogs. Let me know if you think I am curable.