Monday 15 September 2008

Can't remember what day it is!

Things started to get pretty dire in the old financial department so I decided to get a stop gap job, whilst waiting to find out if I will get one mentoring students. They are still swanning around on their holidays. Do I sound bitter and twisted?

So, phoned the local pub and was signed up to work in the kitchens. I have now completed my third shift and find I actually quite enjoy it. The work consists largely of washing up and wrapping knives and forks in napkins, something I find embarrassingly difficult to do. I am slowly being taught the ropes, bizarrely, many of the young employees are people I taught at primary school, and they are now teaching me!

The chefs don't scream at you or tell you to fuck off every second word, in fact, they seem quite calm. This might change in more frenetic times. Martin, the Egyptcian chef, is always trying to feed me. It's hard to resist the plethora of delicious smells. Am looking forward to having the chance to do stints as a waitress/bartender and chat to customers - always on the lookout for new and interesting characters, bound to be plenty of those, not least, the owner!

Considering the lack of ethnicity in this region of the country, our kitchen is a veritable United Nations. Aside from Martin, there is Paul (Bulgarian) and Alexe (French). The Hungarians have all left. Alexe is definitely certifiable and spends the whole time grinning and bursting into song. She can't wait to return to France and escape the enslavement of her au pair job.

Writing is going..... sort of. I managed to change 120 odd pages from the present tense to the past (my latest attempt to get 'How's it Going to End?' more attractive to agents) and then lost it all somewhere in cyber space. I was almost suicidal, but luckily I had printed out the new version (where has it gone????) so am now ploughing my way through it once again. Oh well, we artistes have to suffer for our art, clearly. My 'memoirs' are getting trickier as I cannot actually remember great chunks of my adult life, so shall have to either skim over them or invent them. Oh yes, and at least the world hasn't ended in a massive black hole.

No comments: