Monday 8 September 2008

Day 8

I phoned Josh yesterday because I am getting increasingly freaked out by the advent of this experiment to recreate the ‘Big Bang’, which is happening in some tunnel deep under the Alps, on the Swiss/French border. On Wednesday. This Wednesday. I suddenly thought how ironic it would be if, in their pursuit to find out how the universe began, they were to actually cause its end. I thought he might know something about it and be able to explain it to me, and this knowledge would set my mind at rest.

But he only laughed at me and said I was scared because I didn’t understand the way the Universe works. This is true, I neither understand, nor am I particularly interested, which is perhaps why I find it hard to convince myself these experiments are remotely useful. Why can’t we just accept there are some things we don’t know and might never know? Human beings are just too curious.

Obviously, I don’t want any of us to be blown up at any time, but I do feel, just as my writing career is getting going, that this is a very bad time for me personally to be blown into oblivion (well, and everyone else, I suppose). All that heart ache and soul searching about giving up teaching and following my dream. For nothing!

No comments: